Both Books and Ideas and the Brain Science Podcast were launched in 2006. This post includes a list of all the episodes posted in 2014.Read More
In December 2006 I launched 2 podcasts: Books and Ideas and the Brain Science Podcast. In Episode 45 of Books and Ideas I take a few minutes to look back on my five years in podcasting and to thank some of my many guests.
Episode Transcript (Download Free PDF)
The focus of this episode was to thank each of the 33 people who have been featured on Books and Ideas so far.
- Historians: Matthew Cobb, Holly Tucker, and Jennifer Michael Hecht
- Scientists: Lee Silver, Pamela Gay, Robert Schleip, Eugenie Scott, Les Johnson, Daniel George, Sheril Kirshenbaum, and Frank Wilczek
- Philosophers: Massimo Pigliucci and Tom Clark
- Physicians: Paul Offit, Robert Martenson, Neel Varshney, and Steven Novella
- Fiction Writers: Mur Lafferty, Christiana Ellis, Scott Sigler, Tabitha Grace Smith, Skyler White, and Karen Traviss
- Psychologists: Delany Dean, Eric Maisel, Bruce Hood and Carol Tavris
- Other Writers: Dan Ariely, Sue Bailey, and Carmen Flowers
- Special Guests: Patrick Pricken, Kirk McElhearn and Kyla Duffy
- In addition to its Facebook Fan Page, Books and Ideas now has a page on Google+.
- The Books and Ideas app is now available for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
- Sign up for my newsletter so that you don't miss any podcasts.
- Both of my podcasts are supported by listener donations.
- Send me feedback at gincampbell at mac dot com.
Main Topics from this Episode:
- 2008 Nobel Prize in Physics
- String Theory: a look at how it differs from the standard model and the question of whether it can be tested
- Dark Matter and Dark Energy: 95% of the matter in the universe remains unexplained!
- Anti-matter: where science meets science fiction
- Dr. Wilczek's research: Could axions be dark matter? Using quantum mechanics to create new electronics.
- Questions from listeners
- My personal blog is at http://gingercampbellmd.com. This site includes abridged show notes for the Brain Science Podcast as well as complete show notes for Books and Ideas.
- Books and Ideas will continue to come out monthly in 2009.
- Please check out the interesting interviews of Professor Roger Short about Asian Elephants at http://brainsmatter.com.
- The theme music for Books and Ideas is The Open Door by the Beatnik Turtle.
Links and References:Mind Expressions: Delany's Dean's blog Teachers and Scientists mentioned in the interview:
- Jon Kabat-Zinn: pioneer in secular use of mindfulness meditation
- Marsha Linehan: another pioneer in the therapeutic use of meditation
- Sharon Salzberg: cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society
- Jeffery Schwarz, MD: pioneered the use of mindfulness in treating obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). He wrote The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force with Sharon Begley
- Gil Fronsdal: respected teacher and director of the Insight Meditation Center in Redwood, CA
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante H. Gunaratana-one of Dr. Campbell's favorites
- Insight Meditation: A Step-By-Step Course on How to Meditate by Sharon Salzberg, Joseph Goldstein
- Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life by Jon Kabat-zinn
- For more books and videos go to Delany Dean's private practice site.
- Insight Meditation Society-learn more about Vipassana
- Spirit Rock- this is where Dr. Campbell did the retreat she mentions in the podcast
- Structural Integration
- Dr. Ida Rolf, founder of Rolfing
- Myofibroblast-the active component of fascia