I recently started a Fellowship in Palliative Medicine after spending over 20 years practicing Emergency Medicine. Most people know little or nothing about this emerging speciality. Even worse misconceptions and misunderstandings are very common. My lastest Books and Ideas podcast is an interview with Dr. Amos Bailey, who is a genuine pioneer in both Hospice and Palliative Medicine. He gives us an inside look at how Palliative Medicine emerged out of the incredible technical advances of modern medicine. He also dispells some of the most common misunderstandings. This interview will also give you some insight into why I am making this major career change.
Episode Transcript (Download PDF)
- The Palliative Response by F. Amos Bailey
- Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine
- On Death and Dying: What the Dying Have to Teach Doctors, Nurses, Clergy and Their Own Families by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- Additional references are available in the Free Episode Transcript.
- I am giving a lecture to the Undergraduate Society for Neuroscience at UAB on November 18, 2014. Go to the Brain Science Podcast website to learn more.