Episode 31 of Books and Ideas is an interview with NASA physicist Les Johnson, PhD. We talked about his new book Paradise Regained: The Regreening of Earth. Although Dr. Johnson is a lifelong fan of science fiction he challenges the common assumption that eventually we will pollute or damage the earth so badly that humans will be forced to move to outer space. Instead, Dr. Johnson argues that we should develop the technology to get resources from outer space so that we can preserve the Earth for Life.
Episode Transcript (Download PDF)
Additional Links and References:
- Les Johnson's website: where you can find information about his books and future appearances.
- NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL.
- Dr. Johnson is the Deputy Manager of the Advanced Concepts Office at Marshall.
- ProSEDS and the Tethered Satellite System: Dr. Johnson has worked on the development of advanced propulsion systems.
- Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency
Books mentioned in this episode:
- Living Off the Land in Space: Green Roads to the Cosmos by Gregory L. Matloff, Les Johnson, C Bangs
- The Starflight Handbook: A Pioneer's Guide to Interstellar Travel by Eugene F. Mallove and Gregory L. Matloff
- Solar Sails: A Novel Approach to Interplanetary Travel by Giovanni Vulpetti, Les Johnson, Gregory L. Matloff
- Paradise Regained: The Regreening of Earth by Les Johnson, Gregory L. Matloff, C Bangs
- Rocket Men: The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon, by Craig Nelson (Available from our sponsor Audible.com)