Episode 51 of Books and Ideas is actually a followup of Dr. Jaak Panksepp's recent interview on the Brain Science Podcast. There we talked in depth about the scientific evidence that humans share basic emotional circuitry with other mammals. In this interview we talk about the implications of this discovery, focusing on how it should impact the treatment of laboratory animals. We also consider our relationships with pets and other domestic species.
Episode Transcript (Download Free PDF)
Subscribe to Books and Ideas
Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions by Jaak Panksepp
- The Archaeology of Mind: Neuroevolutionary Origins of Human Emotions by Jaak Panksepp and Lucy Biven
- Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain by Antonio Damasio
- Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson
Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson
- Why Animals Matter: Animal Consciousness, Animal Welfare, and Human Well-being by Marian Stamp Dawkins
- Project Nim (Video) directed by James Marsh
- Jaak Panksepp on the Brain Science Podcast: BSP 65 and BSP 91
- Kyla Duffy of Happy Tails Books (dog rescue): B&I 33
- Stuart Brown on the importance of Play: BSP 61
- Books and Ideas has its own Facebook Fan Page.
- You can also post your feedback about Books and Ideas within the BSP Group on Goodreads.
- A new version of the Books and Ideas website will be launching soon. The URL will not change.
Meet Dr. Campbell:
- Atlanta, Georgia: February 19-21, 2013
- South by SouthWest in Austin, Texas: March 7-10, 2013
- Johannesburg, South Africa: April 8-10, 2013
- I love to meet listeners when I travel so if you will be at any of these places just drop me an email at gincampbell at mac dot com.